Monday, April 4, 2011

Green Chili Beef Jerky

Do you like beef jerky, but don't like paying what seems like 10-20$ a bag at the store? My friends and family usually rave about my jerky, so I thought I would post it up here for you all to try.

I don't measure anything in the kitchen so the measurements are estimates.

I got 10lb beef from the store. I just get the cheapest cut of meat they have. Rump roast, Round, Chuck, anything like that, then have the butcher cut it as thin as he can with their meat saw.

My marinade

4 cups hot water
3tbsp Salt
1tbsp Pepper
2tbsp Garlic Powder
2tbsp Onion Powder
1tbsp Cayenne
1tbsp Smoked Paprika
2tbsp Brown Sugar
2-3tbsp liquid smoke
2-3tbsp Worcheschire
2-3tbsp Soy Sauce




I let the meat marinade for about 12 hours, then I drain the marinade out and try to get any excess moisture out of the meat by pressing down on them.




The Green Chili Marinade

I use fresh roasted green chilis because I live in New Mexico and that's how we roll. I suppose you could use canned for you Yanks but it will not be as good. Anyways, with the fresh I take the skin off about 30 green chilis. and then put in the food processor. I then stir in about 3tbsp Salt. I then add about 1 cup warm water. I let the beef sit in this mixture for about 2-8 hours. Depends on when you are ready to dehydrate.

I have a dehydrator I bought online a few years ago that I use. Think I paid like 80-120$. I place all the meat on the trays.







I set the temp at about 160F and leave it on that for the first 3 hours. I rotate the trays from bottom to top every hour. After about 3 hours I turn the heat down to about 140F and continue dehydrating for another 5 hours still rotating trays ever hour or 2.

Take out what you want to eat now and then vacuum seal the rest of the jerky and enjoy.




4 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried to make Turkey Jerky? I would like an order of that please, made with the same spices. THX!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save me a bag or two for June! This really makes me want to buy a dehydrator!!!

    ReplyDelete